Then everything becomes clear

There are those moments when you learn so much about yourself it is borderline uncomfortable. One of those hard moments hit today - full force. Every teacher has that student, the one that is the most difficult, the one who you constantly pray for an endless supply of patience. Yes, that one. Mine, we'll call him Gem (props to the best mentor ever for that saying), has had a particularly hard week and needless to say, my prayers weren't answered. The silver lining is through all the battles of why it is wrong to hurt others, keeping Gem on task, lots of deep breaths, multiple time outs, and utter frustration (most likely on both our parts), I learned a few things.


1. It is easier to keep patience up and smiles high on Monday rather than Friday.
2. Students are complex. At times it is hard to like the academic side of the student as well as the playground side.
3. No matter what, both student and teacher want to do the right thing, even when it doesn't seem at all possible.
4. Despite being frustrated, there are those that make you laugh. Thankfully I have amazing students who help with that, and a fantastic team that is there to listen.
5. Stay flexible. If 5 stars don't work, try 15!



Comments

  1. this makes me want to teach... is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, well maybe, hehe. I had a delightful Friday with "gem", but I learned a lot - so not all bad, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you liked my gem phrasing. Your gem is certianly a special one. He likes to shine in all his glory somedays, which are not good days for you. Despite the gem, you are an amazing teacher! If you ever need chocolate, just ask- I always have some on hand!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts