Inspiration from someone little

On Friday, I read a picture book on Dr. King to my first graders. This was the first time I had taught them something so serious and monumental in nature - I wasn't sure they were going to understand the importance of who this man was and his dreams for our nation. As we discussed what segregation was and how Rosa Parks and so many others were told no, I could see on their faces that they didn't understand. Why weren't people being treated fairly? In first grade fairness is a huge part of their world. When something isn't equal, they definitely let you know about it!

After reading the story, we discussed Dr. King's dream to have equal rights for everyone. We began brainstorming what our dreams are for our families and the world. I quickly realized I shouldn't have doubted their abilities to understand something serious. I started to hear the most selfless things coming from these wonderfully wise 6-year-olds. Here are some of their comments:
* I have dream that my dad will get a job.
* I have dream that my mom won't be sick anymore.
*I have a dream that my cousin will not have cancer.
*I have a dream that everyone will be loved.
* I have a dream that everyone will have enough money to go to school.

And the very last one, which nearly brought me to tears...
* I have a dream that no one will be told no.

It is moments like this that I love being a teacher, for in that lesson I learned so much from my amazing students.

Comments

  1. Yay! You have a blog! I love your cute MLK post, your fantastically beautiful wedding pictures, and amazing you, of course!
    loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca you are, as always, so sweet. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited you have a blog! Very cute posts. And of course, you are stunningly beautiful in your wedding photos. It's weird to think about how it wasn't that long ago and we didn't even know each other. I'm looking forward to blogging with you in ESL class! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts