A picture of yellow

Half of the rewards of teaching come in those moments students form these perfectly nonsensical sentences (the other half is when you realize just how much of an impact you are having and how successful each student is). Despite the frustration, the moments you are yelling inside "can anyone hear me?", and watching a lesson flop right before your eyes - students often throw you a life line by saying something absolutely adorable. This post is dedicated to such sayings - I will add more to this as time goes on, definitely!


* "This is a picture of yellow" (said during friendship circle and a student did indeed scribble on  a piece of paper in yellow marker/crayon/colored pencil)


* "If you were my age, I would play with you everyday"


* "Are white people like peach people like us?"


* "Do all male reindeers get the chance to fly?" (asked one student after a polar animal report)


* "Year he, year he, Mrs. W is the awesomest teacher ever!"


* Conversation about reading (Level F is middle first grade, Z is the end of 6th)
       Student: "Are you on a level F?"
       Me: "Level F?"
       Student: "In your reading."
       Me: "Honey, I'm beyond a Z!"
       Student: stares wide eyed at me, then the best smile starts to creep across his face until he grins and walks away! Priceless.




Comments

  1. First graders are the best. Here's my favorite quote, although it wasn't from my class but my mom's. Background knowledge: my mom is very flat chested. One day as she's walking her class to lunch a little boy says, "I know what a boo-boo is, that's when you get hurt. It's kind of like booby, that's what girls have. Good thing you don't have any".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best comment eva!!! I totally want one of my students to say something as profound as that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog doesn't like me. I tried posting like 3 times! Anyway, I totally love first graders and the way the say things and see the world! Oh and I love teaching with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait for more!!!! This is classic!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts