Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

I have been on hold for 18 minutes and counting. Waiting for a customer service representative to take my call. Yet another moment I am glad I have a blog to distract me because I'm pretty sure there is one representative working today and his/her phone is on hold for no other reason than just to see how many calls will build up in the queue. S/he is probably sitting in their tiny gray cubicle laughing at me, making bets as to how long I will stay on hold. Jerk. However, I am thankful that I'm not having to listen to some awful elevator-inspired music in between the automated reminder that I am indeed on hold but should really keep holding because someone may want to do their job and answer the phone.

23 minutes and 15 seconds.

Earlier this week, on my way home from work, I spotted the man in yellow. There is this older gentleman who walks somewhere from someplace and his outfit is without fail the same - in the summer he is in a bright yellow shirt, black shorts, yellow sock and yes, yellow shoes. But seeing how it is winter, he has swapped out the bright yellow T for a yellow jacket (I secretly hope he is still wearing his yellow shirt underneath). He walks everyday. Without fail. I have some misplaced admiration for this man. I don't what his story is, but I like to pretend it is something great, something filled with purpose and not a lack of sanity. How many people do you know that have such dedication (possibly determination) to do the same thing every day? It makes me think of the cliched saying "walk a mile in his shoes." I think I would like to walk a mile beside his shoes (I'm sure with as much use as his shoes get, I am better off bringing my own) just to get a glimpse into this person's life.

30 minutes exactly, no representative wanted to take my call. Sigh.

Comments

  1. I always wonder about different people and their stories, too. I often make up what they are all about, usually with lots of drama because I like to think that people's lives are like TV shows. Plus, my life is pretty drama free so I have to get my drama from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts