Brussels Sprouts

(Photo from Food Network)

Last night, deciding that we wanted to have a completely different dinner than the usual, we decided to make steak and roasted brussel sprouts. Now Mr. Dub isn't a huge fan of brussel sprouts, in fact he hates them. And I? Well, I have never had them before. Throughout my life I have heard horror stories about how un-yummy this particular vegetable is. Well, I stumbled across this recipe for roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic vinegar by another blogger and her description and pictures made me want to try them.

Mr. Dub decided to indulge me, I think he was secretly hoping that I was going to be grossed out by them as much as he is! However, I think they are yummy! Maybe it was just they way we roasted them, but I don't know why these mini cabbage-like veggies get such a bad rap! So while I was pretty excited about eating them, Keaton was less than enthused. Although he did admit that he likes them a bit better than the first time he tried them!

This, coupled with watching the movie Julie and Julia, has inspired me to try cooking something new each week. We'll see how that goes!

Interesting facts about Brussels Sprouts:
* They are related to broccoli, and thus contain sulforaphane. This chemical is said to have anti-cancer qualities.
* They also contain indole-3-carbinol, which helps DNA repair in cells and block the growth of cancer cells.
* Brussels Sprouts are also surprisingly high in protein, well high (and incomplete) for a vegetable!
* They also have loads of vitamins and antioxidants!

Comments

  1. You are too cute. I am now inspired to try brussels sprouts again. I'll need to get the recipe from you... it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts