Thankless - not quite

This afternoon I heard a parent questioning another teacher about how much work she does after school and at home to prepare lessons. Then, as usual, the parent said something along the lines that "teaching really is a thankless job" but (there is always a but) "you change the lives of children." This - coupled with recent threats from the Legislature for the education community to brace for budget cuts - got me thinking about the dichotomy that is the public's view on education. There seem to be two views of educators - those that truly believe we (teachers) make a difference and admire our profession, and then there are those who pretend to be like the people in the first camp, but what they don't say is how much more they value other professions at the expense of education.

I didn't become a teacher for public admiration, plentiful pats on the back, or the money. I became a teacher because I love to teach and I love to help others discover their passion for learning. What I didn't realize would bother me so much are the platitudes of those who hold the future of educational quality in their hands. A quality education engages students and pushes them to be their best. I am amazed at how many others don't feel the same. Budget cuts are a given, but another given is my determination. I want to do all that I can - with whatever resources I have at my disposal - to make up the difference so my students don't feel like they are being cheated - even if that is exactly what happens.

Teaching is anything but thankless, thanks to my 22 students who are my biggest cheerleaders of all!



Comments

  1. Thanks for a very inspiring post, Mrs. Dub! I love it. It was very thoughtful and made me want to be a better teacher and stop griping about all the budget cuts. Although sometimes it makes you feel better just to complain a little. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts