Maybe Not So Pretty In Pink


Awhile back, while listening to NPR, I heard Peggy Orenstein discussing her book, Cinderella Ate My Daughter. Catchy title. I admit, I was intrigued. The premise of her book is an in-depth look at how "princess-mania" has taken such a stronghold over millions of little girls. Girls who are decked out in all sorts of pink-ladened princess gear. In it, Orenstein questions how this multi-billion dollar industry will affect girls' future identities. Although pink has, for as long as I can remember, been pervasive in little girl clothing and toys, it now comes with the Disney label attached and possible detrimental outcomes.  

As I read more on fellow blogs, I was directed (flat-out encouraged) to read this article, How To Talk To Little Girls. The author, Lisa Bloom, discusses how the first thing many little girls hear from adults is how cute/adorable/pretty they and how fabulous/wonderful/perfect they look in their outfits. At first glance, this doesn't sound bad, who doesn't like to be complimented? But Bloom discusses the deeper ramifications of such ice-breaking conversation starters. 

"Teaching girls that their appearance is the first thing you notice tells them that looks are more important than anything."

As I think about my sweet girls in my first grade class, I can't help but wonder if, to some degree, I am playing into this. Do I compliment them too often on how cute they are? Or, do my comments about what they like/what they are learning/how they are feeling, hold more weight? After reading Bloom's article, and as I begin a new school year, I am making the goal to not fall back on the "you look so cute!" or "I love your dress!" or "Look how pretty you are!" (No promises that this won't occasionally happen) Not that I find these compliments individually inappropriate and damaging, but it is the collective I am worried about. If I am saying these things, isn't every other adult role model that a little girl encounters? 

I want my students to know that I am interested in their minds and passions and zest for all things that means being 6-years-old rocks. I aim to be their role model, and my goal is not to model clothes. But to show all of my kiddos that they have important things to say and their intellect, even in first grade, is what should be valued by our society. 

Pink is great, but not when it comes at the price of a little girl  feeling more confident in her looks rather than speaking her mind. 

Comments

  1. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, I too need to work on this for the firsties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started doing this with adults too! Trying hard to come up wiht more than just a "cute shoes" conversation starter. It is harder than I realized!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts